Monday, October 8, 2012

Brittany Boehm's post on Adelson

I need to first state that most of Adelson's theories on light, perception, and illusions were lost on me. I have never been great at visual or auditory senses. Though, what I can relate to is how our mind plays tricks on us. When Adelson quoted Ruskin, "Every light is a shade, compared to the higher lights, till you come to the sun; and every shade is a light, compared to the deeper shades, till you come to the night." (1879), it reminded me that all perception and illusion is individual and the mind doesn't always see what truly is there.
All of life is seen through our own perceptions and experiences. One person may see a brilliant red color in the flush of a loved one's cheeks while another may see roceasa in a stranger's face. Same base hue of red, very different perceptions. I think that is why I love color and Color Theory so much, while there are concretes in this field of study, it is all subjective and manipulative.

No comments: