Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Metamarism





The first time I got in contact with this term was while working at a design / advertising agency. We were producing a catalogue for a local department store and our client was obsessed with matching the colors of the printed catalogue with the actual fabrics. 

I remember going to the printing factory in order to make sure that all the surfaces, textiles and paper, were reproduced exactly under some specific light. (The one they got in the store and daylight) At first I thought it was going to be an easy job, but when I got there almost every color differed from the actual color in the textiles. What I thought would be the work of one day become a week, we constantly had to print out samples and compare them to the textile swatches under a "light source" which simulated different lights. 

After having matched almost all the colors exactly, I realized how important this part of the work was. Because, if we hadn't done that many clients would have been disappointed while coming to the store to find the garment they had see in the catalogue.  

No comments: