Thursday, November 29, 2012

Yellow Submarine Yellow Submarine

Oh the good old Beatles. My Dad and his brother are both huge fans, as would be pretty much anyone of that generation? Of course not that they don't have a legacy to be enjoyed by many generations after them, but that was certainly the hey day. I visited a few Beatles spots when I went to London, but I've never been a huge source of knowledge on the subject. On their use of color, I really like the music video. And I really appreciate the art behind it, much more than so many music videos today. Even though the Beatles may have been singing about some unsavory topics (someone brought up Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds), I think at least that the video isn't too in your face with unsavory topics. To clarify, I think that music videos nowadays are taking the "sex sells" idea and just shoving it our faces. Just because it sells, doesn't mean it's the only way to sell. I think the Yellow Submarine video is fun and colorful and makes you feel very whimsical, I was tempted to dance around a little bit. It's all sort of silly, and I like it.

1 comment:

Professor Vallera said...

Yes. Glad to hear you liked it. I agree, the style and technology is a bit dated, but the narrative and whimsical quality is ageless. I think the lesson with this video is that pushing the boundaries is important and trying new aesthetics is essential. Looking at the details, pacing and design in each frame of this animation has great examples of it.