Tuesday, November 27, 2012

yellow submarine

I have always been a fan of The Beatles and Yellow Submarine is one of my favorite albums.  I remember watching the movie when I was a kid and thinking it was the strangest thing I had ever seen.  I still find it an odd movie watching it now.

I never noticed the rythmic movement of the animation before today.  Don't get me wrong, I intuitively understood the idea of stop/limited animation the film used to create the moving image, but I didn't realize how well synced it was to the score.  Not just The Beatles album tracks but the incidental music that helped move the story along.

As for color.  Yes, I think we are all going to agree that there are plenty of saturated, vivid hues in this film that add to the psychadelic look of the 1960s film. But what I found interesting was the contrast between the BLUE MEANIES and the YELLOW SUBMARINE.  Very striking contrast (bordering on a complimentary contrast of BV-YO.)  Love that.

I also, really appreciated the contrast of vivid saturates hues to the muted tones and tints.  The tones and tints were usually used in more somber unhappy moments and the vivid pure hues were used in happier joyous moments/characters.

No comments: