Sunday, August 26, 2012

Professor V's Teaching tools

Hello everyone,

I want to start this semester with a few important ideas that I hope will inspire you in this class.

- You are not expected to have any previous knowledge about color thory, painting or drawing. In this class you should channel all your unknown knowledge/ lack of experience into excitement and curiosity.
- Transform any fear/doubt/embarrassment expressed when facing a challenge into productivity. Jump into the assignment and do not be affraid to make a mistake...there are no mistakes.
- Everyday I want to look at the world around you with new eyes. Look for color, light and form. Challenge your mind by asking questions related to what you see.
- The point of this class is not tomaking a good picture, this is about the process, the discovery and the learning process. You work will transform without you even knowing it.
- Hand work in on time!
- Ask me or your classmates if you have questions.
- Do not give up! You may have to do assignments several times before you get them to look right. Thats ok!
- Never throw anything out! I want to see the stages you go through while you work.

4 comments:

timcapalbo said...

Prof V:

When exactly are assignments due each week? I am still waiting on a few supplies (namely my paint) and just want to know when we need to post by each week.

Professor Vallera said...

Assignments are due every Monday by midnight, unless otherwise noted. That gives you exactly one week from the day they are assigned.

timcapalbo said...

thanks. i'm noticing we have NUMEROUS places to post: voicethread, blogger, blackboard... i know you are stating where to post in each assignment, will we be using one more than another? i personally am not a fan of blackboard: it's eaten work of mine before... can we choose to use one over another? do you prefer we use one over another?

Professor Vallera said...

HI Tim,

Good question. We will use voicethread and the blog to post work. There is no need to post anything to blackboard. Consider that to be the "teachers space", where I post all content for the class. Generally, I ask that you post all ideas, sketches and questions to the blog and that you post all finished work to voicethread. In each assignment I specify where I want it posted, but that is usually the case. Be sure to label your work correctly so I can find easily. (see announcement_1 for details about labeling). I hope that answers your question!