Thursday, September 13, 2012

Tim Capalbo Munsell Reading Week 3

I found the reading to be a bit "intellectual" in nature and at times, hard to follow, and had to re-read paragraphs twice and sometimes three times before I completely understood what Munsell was even suggesting.  I like to consider myself a fairly smart man, by the way.  However, once I figured it out, I got it.  And I can see why the US would adopt this method of defining color. I hope, however, they are using a more basic approach to teaching this to people in regards to the vernacular used.

I found it interesting that Munsell referred to the 5 basic colors as Red, Yellow, Green, Blue and Purple.  And when I learned color way back when, the colors of the "rainbow" (the prismatic colors) were ROY G BIV.  He makes no mention of Orange or Indigo (and calls Violet: Purple).  When he does mentions Orange, he refers to it as Yellow-Red.  It made me wonder when the word "Orange" came about in terms of color (I'm looking at the blog and no one researched this color...) But I am digressing...

I find the numerics an interesting concept and completely agree that color names are bit, let's say, "silly" at times (man if Munsell could hear the names we come up with now to describe colors...!)  It could be helpful in terms of defining a color to another Interior Designer for example, however, I don't foresee your average client learning this system and being able to convey color choices this way.  And from what I've read thus far on the subject, I actually think the Pantone Method of Color Coding is MUCH more precise in terms of defining a hue using a 0-100% scale rather than a 1-10 scale.

No comments: